There are no second chances in Firestorm they said, well, they were right. A deadly ring of fire enclosing the largest Battlefield map ever, new epic weapons and combat vehicles.Firestorm is a fairly straightforward set-up as Battle Royales go. 64 players (squad and solo variants are available) parachute onto a single landmass, and kill each other off as the titular, circular Firestorm closes in. The real deal here is its Map which is more bigger than the previous largest Battlefield map.Battlefield 5 has the prettiest battle royale mode in existence, with the best sound design. It’s so spectacular that I spent most of one match sitting on a dock enjoying the view of another player’s artillery strike.
DICE has certainly put their stamp on the genre, with vehicular combat a much bigger part of Firestorm than similar games’ versions of battle royale. The company also highlights destruction, which it says will mitigate camping due to the possibility of the structure you’re hiding in being blown up. You’ll be able to play as any of your soldiers from the standard multiplayer modes; although their class-specific abilities won’t be available, their customized look will be.
Below is a quick rundown so you won’t get smoked.
- Battlefield Core Gameplay: Firestorm comes with Battlefield V’s core gunplay and destruction intact. But expect surprising changes that’ll shake-up battle royale as you know it.
- Halvøy: This snow-covered peninsula draws the best soldiers into combat on the biggest Battlefield map ever.
- Objectives: Play as a squad to secure Re-supply Points and Vehicle Lockups that are strewn across the map for a chance at wielding vehicles and gear from Firestorm’s most valuable stockpiles.
- Combat Vehicles: Command an armory of devastating vehicles over land, air, and sea – including five new vehicles for Firestorm. If you want the power, you’ll have to take the risk and challenge other squads to be the first to unlock the best combat vehicles from Objectives.
- Reinforcements: Part of Firestorm’s rare loot, call down Reinforcements like the V-1 Rocket, artillery strikes, and combat vehicles to wreak havoc on the battlefield. On the flipside, order supply drops to aid your squad in an instant.
- Destruction: Firestorm brings true Battlefield destruction to the battle royale genre, making for unparalleled moments and unique tactical opportunities. No more camping in buildings when a V-1 rocket can blow your house in.
Firestorm has introduced a new way to play:
On 11th April Developer DICE added Duos, which as its name suggests, lets you play with one other person.
Duos joins the exisiting Solo (1 player) and Squads (4 players) mode that are already available in Firestorm.”It’s our first time putting Duo out into the wild having started work on the mode much later in Firestorms development. We love it, and we think it’s a great addition to the game, but we recognize best that we’re better hearing that from you, and we’d appreciate your support in helping to make it a strong addition to Firestorm, and Battlefield V,” DICE said in a forum post.
We’re making our first introduction of Duo Mode to #Firestorm in order to gather your feedback, and improve the mode. It’s available in game right now, through April 15th.
— #Battlefield V (@Battlefield) April 11, 2019
Duos will be available in Firestorm until 10 AM UTC on Monday, April 15. At that time, DICE will listen to fans feedback and its own telemetry. It appears Duos is launching as sort of a test at first.